In 1943, Miss Elizabeth Evans, Director of the Department of Christian Education for The New England Fellowship of Evangelicals, presented a plan to the Board of Directors for the formation of an evangelical Christian elementary and secondary school in New England. The proposal was met with enthusiasm by that board.
A committee of twenty-two evangelical pastors, Christian educators, and lay people held its first meeting on March 11, 1945, at the office of the New England Fellowship.The outcome was the formation of the New England Association of Christian Schools (NEACS) which was incorporated in 1946.
Property at 255 Huntington Avenue, Boston, was rented for the opening of Boston's first evangelical Christian secondary day school. In September 1946, the Boston Christian High School, operating under the charter of the New England Association of Christian Schools, opened its doors with fifty-four pupils in grades 7,8 and 9 directed by the first headmaster, Clifford M. Peck. In 1947, grade 10 was added, grade 11 in 1948, and grade 12 in 1949.
On June 21, 1949, the board voted to approve the purchase of the building and property at 20 Garden Street, Cambridge (the old Browne and Nichols School).
In 1959 Miles M. Strodel, who began as a teacher in 1948, became headmaster and served in that capacity until 1973. Under his leadership the school curriculum was developed exclusively into a college preparatory curriculum with the phasing out of the business program.
Property in Lexington was made available, and a decision was made to relocate to Lexington for the 1965-66 school year. The 1965-66 school year began at the Arlington Heights Baptist Church with 135 students until the new building was completed and occupied at 48 Bartlett Avenue, Lexington, in early 1966. Meadow Breeze Day Camp, a summer program for children using the school property and facilities, was begun in 1966. In 1967 the school received accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The name of the school was changed to Lexington Christian Academy in 1970.
In 1974 Arthur W. Hill became headmaster. Highlights of his administration included an expansion of the program by adding additional elective courses and additional sections with a commensurate increase in the staff. In 1977-78 a special education tutorial program was begun. The mid-eighties was the period in which the school reached its maximum enrollment.
The elimination of the mortgage on the building in October, l979, was a major step in ensuring the financial stability of the school and provided the incentive for additional development. The expansion of the art facilities and the building of a tutoring office was undertaken in 1980. In 1984-85 the patio was enclosed to create four additional offices.In l980 the Tuition Aid Endowment Fund was established. In June, l985, this fund was substantially augmented with a gift of one million dollars.
Dr. David L. Roth was appointed headmaster in 1987.His administration was noted by a re-examination of the basic purpose and philosophy of the school and a re-emphasis on the integration of faith with learning in all aspects of school life. Dr. Roth returned to Wheaton, Illinois, in 1989.
Raymond E. Martin, Assistant Headmaster for twenty years was appointed acting headmaster for the 1989-90 school year.A decision to expand the middle school program to include a sixth grade in September 1990, was made and implementation begun. M-r. J. Barry Koops, the former superintendent of Eastern Christian Schools in North Haledon, New Jersey was appointed headmaster and began his duties on August 1, 1990.
The decade of the nineties was marked by growing enrollment and an enhanced academic program. Following a strategic plan drafted by the board in 1993, enrollment increased from 211 to 310, and faculty from 21 full-time instructors to 31. A number of enhancements were made to the academic program, including both curriculum and instruction. Elective courses, particularly honors and A.P. courses, were added, as well as a co-curricular activities and sports. Evaluation and professional growth became more consistent and valued. Increased enrollment allowed creation of new positions: Chaplain, Academic Director, Facilities Director, and Director of Minority Affairs.
To be consistent with the Academy's identity as an independent school, LCA rejoined the Eastern Independent League in 1993. In 1995 the athletic fields were re-graded, expanded, and sprinkler systems were installed.
Planning for additional classrooms, a new library, expanded gymnasium, and a center for worship and performing arts took considerable time and creative energy of the board, faculty, and staff from 1997 to 2000. Ground breaking for Phase 1 of this building project is scheduled for November 2000. The development office was opened in 1992, and the staff, now a team of three, doubled the endowment, quadrupled the annual fund, multiplied the number of scholarships by ten, resurrected the alumni relations, and effectively stabilized the Academy's financial base.